Review: The GraphGear Line


 I'm back (again...) with another review, this time of Pentel's GraphGear line. This includes the GraphGear 300, 500, 800, 1000, and Graph 1000 For Pro. My review will include all but the 300, since that's the only one I am missing.

I'll start highest to lowest, which means that the Graph 1000 For Pro is first up! This is decent pencil. In my opinion, this and the base 1000 should be swapped in the lineup, since the "Pro" model drops the metal body and replaces it with plastic all around. Nonetheless, the 1000 For Pro feels good in the hand. It has a nice weight, not too heavy, but not too light. The lead indicator located on the cap is very satisfying with a nice click upon rotation. In addition, it features a full brass clutch, and a metal lead tube. The Graph 1000 For Pro retails for around 10 dollars, so it is well worth the price, given the features.

Next up, we have the GraphGear 1000. This is by far one of my all time favorite mechanical pencils. With a great mechanism, solid construction, and all around great feel, you simply can't go wrong here. I have mine loaded with 2b Lead from Pilot, and the lines are amazingly smooth and consistent. The only drawback to this pencil is the plastic piece that connects the main body to the grip section. Many people have complained about the pencil snapping at that point, but I haven't had any problems in the two years since I got mine. It retails for 11 dollars, but the price fluctuates frequently. I would recommend the GraphGear 1000 to anyone looking to get into mechanical pencils.

Moving down the list, here is the GraphGear 800. Again, I feel like there is a major discrepancy in the naming scheme of this line of pencils. The GraphGear 800 feels very cheap. It uses the tried and true P207 mechanism, but the body is not very good quality. The pocket clip bends very easily, and never bends all the way back. Even so, I really like this pencil. It was one of my firsts, and holds a lot of value to me. It has stood the test of time, with only minor fading of the logo on the side. The design is very cool in my opinion. I just wished they had upped the quality a bit in order to create a better midline between the GraphGear 1000 and 500. This pencil retails for 8 dollars, and I got mine at Walmart.
Finally, we have the GraphGear 500. I have two, one in 0.5 and one in 0.7. These are two of my favorites in my collection, not only for their simplistic design, but also their good quality for a low price. Coming in at only six dollars, the GraphGear gives some of the best bang for your buck. It has a full brass clutch, sturdy plastic barrel, and a comfortable knurled grip section. I have had my 0.5 GG 500 for around two years, and it has held up perfectly fine.

So, there you have it! I hope you enjoyed my review of Pentel's GraphGear line!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Platinum Pro-Use 171

Time for Arduino!