Platinum Pro-Use 171


One of my goals this year is to work through the backlog of pens and pencils I have to review, which, as it turns, is around 20. I figured I might as well start from my most recent acquisitions, and here we are. I had been eyeing the Pro Use 171 for several months before getting it, and all I can say is that it did not disappoint. Coming in at just under 25 grams, the 171 strikes a nice balance between using premium materials, while not being too heavy and unwieldy. It comes with pretty standard features; a lead grade indicator, pocket clip, and small eraser, although there are a few features on this pencil that make it different from most others I have reviewed.

Starting off with the most useful feature, we have the retractable lead sleeve. It can be extended out to around 4.5mm using a screw mechanism. The one issue I have run into is that if you overtighten it when retracting the sleeve, it can get stuck. To fix this, simply unscrew the grip and the sleeve mechanism should come free.


The most unique feature of the 171 is its adjustable lead cushioning mechanism. The dial on the barrel shows which way to turn the knurled grip portion depending on your preference. When the cushion mechanism is activated, the lead and entire knock mechanism slide back inside the sleeve as downward force is applied. When it isn’t activated, the pencil functions as normal, with a stationary knock mechanism. It feels similar to the Rotring RapidPro’s mechanism, which isn’t adjustable. This is a nice feature for those who use their pencils for different tasks, and I find myself using the cushion mode pretty regularly for day-to-day writing.

All in all, the Platinum Pro-Use 171 is a very solid drafting pencil with a few clever quirks. It comes in many sizes and colors, from 0.3 to 0.7 mm. The black version shown here is the only one completely made of metal, though. It can be found for around $25 dollars on Amazon, and $38 on Jetpens.

As always, thanks for reading!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The GraphGear Line

Ohto Super ProMecha: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly