Blackwing Starter Pack (Christmas Special)


As the year comes to a close, it is important that we take some time to look back at all the good that happened in 2022. For me, that includes passing calculus 2, not catching the flu from my family, and most importantly, getting a set of Blackwing pencils for Christmas. For the longest time, I have been a diehard mechanical pencil user, shunning those that stoop to using trees to write. I decided to take the plunge into this wooden world, and I am not disappointed.

The first time I used a Blackwing 602 pencil was when I was 14. I found it on the floor the first day I worked in my school theater's tech booth. I was amazed by the then-unfamiliar eraser mechanism and the smooth writing experience. I should have known, given the phrase "HALF THE PRESSURE, TWICE THE SPEED" is embossed into the side. When I adopted this pencil, it was no more than seven inches long. Since then, it has shrunk measurably, though it is still comfortable to use. 

The OG Blackwing 602
For Christmas this year, I asked for a pack of 602s, the One Step Sharpener, Soft Eraser, and Point Guards. I figured, might as well jump right in. I guess I was reasonably good this year, as I got what I asked for. Even though it has been two days since I got these items, I think I have used all of them enough to give a reasonably informed opinion.

Blackwing 602
Blackwing 602

To begin, I'll discuss the Blackwing 602 pencils. As someone who's only prior experience with wooden pencils was cheap Ticonderoga's or the random pencils that seem to spawn wherever you need them, these are like writing with butter. The "Firm" graphite in the 602 is smooth, but not too smooth. It hits right in that sweet spot.

Samples of the 602's graphite

As seen above, this pencil puts down a dark, smooth line, and shades very well. It also is reasonably smudge-resistant, which is a pleasing change of pace from my usual 2B daily drivers. The end of the pencil features Blackwing's signature paint brush style ferrule, and holds a pretty sizable eraser, and a clip that allows it to be extended as it wears down.

Blackwing One-Step Long Point Sharpener
As expected, wooden pencils require the use of a pencil sharpener, and Blackwing just so happens to offer several on their website. The one I have is the "One-Step Long Point Sharpener." It comes in a very nice matte black aluminum finish with a coarse knurling at the top to help grip when sharpening. They say that the canister can hold the shavings from sharpening 3 brand-new pencils. I did not test this, but I am inclined to believe them.  
A knolled view of the sharpener
This is hands down the best sharpener I have used, which isn't saying much, but its the thought that counts. They sell replacement blades, and given how sturdy this thing is I can see myself using it for years to come.

Blackwing Handheld Soft Eraser and Holder
Next up is the Blackwing Handheld Soft Eraser and Holder. As the name suggests, this is a soft eraser. It performs very well when compared to what most are familiar with, the Pentel Hi-Polymer eraser. This offering from Blackwing has a major leap over the Pentel, with the convenient and handy holder. It is made of aluminum and features the same clip mechanism seen on the pencils that allows this eraser to stay in the holder until it is just a nub. This is a luxurious take on the traditional cardboard sleeves most block erasers come in.
Test of the eraser on various lead grades
Test of the Eraser on various lead grades
Above are the results of my testing. One pass over a dark swatch from the 602, 0.7 B, 0.5 2B, and 0.3 H leads on Rhodia paper. The results were applaudable, as this was from only one pass. I was surprised to see that the eraser got did the best on the H swatch.

Blackwing Point Guards
Finally, we have possibly the most useful accessory, the Point Guard. These are cleverly designed so that the lead of your pencil "floats" inside, so that the long points don't chip or break all together. They do extend the length, so beware of that. They are made of a very nice machined aluminum, and come in matte black, silver, and gold.

Overall, I am beyond satisfied with these items. With that being said, I am seriously reconsidering my mechanical pencil loyalty, as hard as that is to say. 

I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday season and new year!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Platinum Pro-Use 171

Review: The GraphGear Line

Time for Arduino!